A Crazy Pre-Art Fair Weekend
This weekend is shaping up to be a crazy pre-Art Fair weekend with several great events, but also a major road closure.
The first thing to share for the weekend is that eastbound I-94 will be closed from M-14 until the Carpenter Rd overpass due to construction. The closure begins Friday night at 10p and ends at 5a on Monday morning. The suggested detour is M-14 to US-23. Hopefully those roads won’t become too congested.
Tonight is one of our families favorite events – the Rolling Sculpture Car Show in downtown Ann Arbor. The weather looks to be great for the event – upper 70s and clear.
This morning is the last chance to see Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs as the Dollar Movie at Quality 16. You can also join them on Saturday for Lights Up Sound Down Despicable Me 2 showing. Both are at 10a. Older kids (and parents) may also enjoy the Indiana Jones Double Feature at Michigan Theater on Sunday at 1:30p.
Also this weekend is the Saline Celtic Festival held at Mill Pond Park in Saline. The festivities kick off tonight and continued through tomorrow, Saturday. The kids area – Wee Folks Island – is open from noon-5p on Saturday.
Saturday is also Joe Reilly Songs for Scholarships at Leslie Science and Nature Center. Head out for a picnic lunch and explore LSNC before or after the concert while helping to make LSNC’s programs available to students who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford them.
The weekend wraps up on Sunday with Huron River Day. There will be plenty of kid-friendly activities at Gallup Park and also at Parker Mill Park. My daughter really enjoyed touring the mill at Parker Mill park last spring with her Kindergarten class. There will be $5 canoe or kayak rentals at Gallup Park and plenty of interactions with live animals and craft projects for kids.
The weather forecast is for a hot & sunny weekend (upper 80s to the low 90s by early next week). This would also make Rolling Hills a great choice to cool off. We visited last weekend and my daughter loved the new slides. Plan to arrive early because the hot weather tends to bring out the crowds.
My family started the crazy a few days early. We took a family day trip to Cedar Point yesterday, so look for some great content coming from that trip. I plan to write an overall park review and also some detailed ride reviews. I came home to find a box from Kalahari Resorts in Sandusky near Cedar Point, so look for some information on Kalahari Resort and a giveaway to be posted in the next week. After leaving before 8a yesterday and returning home at 11:30p, we are off early this morning to The Robot Garage in Birmingham for a “Media Moms Open House”. The Robot Garage is a place for LEGO and robotics enthusiasts to gather to build. They offer open play, birthday parties, and summer camps. I first learned about The Robot Garage last fall at the LEGO KidsFest, I just wish The Robot Garage was closer to Ann Arbor. We are looking forward to the event. When I finally get home this afternoon, I will be looking to see if there are any events that I missed and updating the calendar – if you know of any let me know (email@example.com).
Looking forward, next week is Art Fair week. As is typical, the weather is hot with a chance of storms. Personally, my daughter is most excited for next week when she FINALLY gets to attend summer camp. With visiting family and the short Fourth of July week, this week was the first week that she could have attended camp. However, when we looked at the camps she wanted to attend and the weeks that worked for some friends and I to hold “friend camp”, she already had 5 straight weeks booked and this was our only week to plan day trips. Tuesday she went to Lake Michigan for the day with my parents and yesterday to Cedar Point.
Friday, July 12
- 10a Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs Dollar Movie at Quality 16
- 10a-noon Passport to Adventure – Europe at Michaels
- 10-11a Drummunity! A Hands-On Family Musical Event at Downtown Branch of AADL
- 10a-1p Tot Splash at Buhr Park
- 10-10:30a Preschool Story time at Pittsfield Branch of AADL
- 10:30-11:30a Baby Playgroups at Traverwood Branch of AADL
- noon-12:30p Ring the Bells at Kerrytown
- noon-1p Tot Splash at Veterans Park
- noon-1:30p Family Swim at Goldfish Swim School
- 1-3p Jump City Pop in Playtime at Jump City
- 2-10p Rolling Sculpture Car Show in Downtown Ann Arbor
- 2-4p Film Fridays at Michigan Ave Branch of YDL – Rise of the Guardians
- 5:30p Saline Celtic Festival Begins in Mill Pond Park, Saline
- 5:30-7p Family Jump Time at Canton Pump It Up
- 6:30-9p Jump City Family Bounce
- 6:30-8p Family Swim at Goldfish Swim School
Saturday, July 13
- 10a Lights Up Sound Down Despicable Me 2 at Quality 16
- 10a-5p Jackson Rd Cruise on Jackson Rd from Wagner Rd. to Baker Rd.
- 10a-3p Critter House Open Hours at LSNC
- 10-10:30a Ring the Bells at Kerrytown
- 10:30a Family Discovery Storytime at Whittaker Rd Branch through (8/17)
- 11a-noon Joe Reilly Songs for Scholarships at LSNC
- 11a Tie Dye T-Shirt at Learning Express
- 11a Saturday Story Time at Nicola’s Books
- 11a Saturday Story Time at Literati Bookstore
- 11a Story Time at Barnes & Noble – Huron Village Shopping Center
- noon-5p Wee Folks Island open at Saline Celtic Festival in Mill Pond Park, Saline
- 1-3p Raptor Feeding at LSNC
- 2p Tie Dye T-Shirt at Learning Express
- 2p FREE Dinosaur Tours at UM Natural History Museum
- 3p Strum & Drum at Oz’s Music
- 3-4p Cache In: Introduction to GeoCaching (teen – adult) at Downtown Branch of AADL
Sunday, July 14
- 8:30a-4p Huron River Day at Gallup Park
- noon-3p Critter House Open Hours at LSNC
- 1-1:40p Dancing Babies with Monica Higman at Pittsfield Branch
- 1:30 Indiana Jones Double Feature at Michigan Theater
- 2p FREE Dinosaur Tours at UM Natural History Museum
- 4-6p Jump City Pop In Playtime
- 5-6:30p Family Swim at Goldfish Swim School