April Events at Ann Arbor District Library
The Ann Arbor District Library has a busy schedule for April. They continue their regular schedule of playgroups, story times, and tutoring. They also have a number of special events for kids of all ages. In addition to weekend events, they have added several events during Spring Break Week.
The Ann Arbor District Library continues their regular preschool story times and baby playgroups: Baby Playgroups are for infants through 24 months. My daughter loved baby playgroup until she reached about 18 months of age.
- Mondays, 10:30-11:30a – Downtown
- Tuesdays 10-11a Malletts Creek
- Wednesdays 11a-noon at Pittsfield
- Thursdays 6:30-7:30p at Malletts Creek
- Fridays 10:30-11:30a at Traverwood Branch
- Tuesdays 10-10:30a Downtown
- Tuesdays 11-11:30a Traverwood
- Wednesdays 10-10:30a Malletts Creek Branch
- Wednesdays 11-11:30a Downtown
- Wednesdays 6-6:30p at Traverwood
- Thursdays 10-10:30a at Traverwood
- Thursdays 7-7:30p at Pittsfield Branch
- Fridays, 10-10:30a at Pittsfield Branch
- Mondays 4-8p at Downtown Branch
- Wednesdays 4-8p at Downtown Branch
- Sundays except April 20 3-5p at Downtown Branch
Special events for preschoolers through elementary school are listed below in order. Teen events can be found at the bottom of the post.
Each year, the first weekend of April is Fool Moon and FestiFools The library is always heavily involved in the festivities. On Friday, April 4 visit the AADL Tent at FoolMoon with glowing hula-hoops, AADL flashlights, and Johann Sebastian Joust. Then on Sunday, April 6 join them from 3:30-3:40p for the Robot Invasion on Main Street as part of FestiFools.
Dancing Babies returns to the Pittsfield Branch on Sunday, April 6 from 1-1:40p with AAPS Physical Education teacher Dianne Dudley.
Spring Break Week Activities:
Monday, April 7 2-3:30p Shrinky Dink Craft Magic at Malletts Creek Branch (Grade 4+)
Tuesday, April 8 2-3p Rosco the Clown at Pittsfield Branch (Preschool-Grade 5)
Wednesday, April 9 2-3p Gumdrop People at Pittsfield Branch (Grades K-5)
Wednesday, April 9 7-8:45p Geometric Origami 101 at Malletts Creek Branch (Grade 4+)
Thursday, April 10 2-2:45p Scheer Genius! at Downtown Branch
The library is concluding spring break with Wii tournaments. On Saturday, April 12 there will be an all ages Mario Kart Tournament and on Sunday, April 13 there will be a Wii Sports Resort: Team Tourney for grades K+. Both events are being held at the Downtown Branch from 1-4p. There will also be a Chesstastic event to allow everyone from grade K through adult to practice their chess skills. The event is from 1-4p at Traverwood Branch
The library will celebrate Earth Week on Saturday, April 19. They will have a Recycled Glossy Paper Flower Event from 1-2p at the Traverwood Branch for kids in grades K-5. Also on April 19 the library will wrap up National Library Week with a story telling performance by La’Ron Williams. from 1-2:30p at the Downtown Branch. I have seen his performances and they are wonderful. The performance is geared towards ages 6 to adult.
The last weekend of April will kick off with Concert: The West African Sounds of Sunkwa on Friday, April 25 from 7-8p at the Downtown Branch. The concert is for kids in grades K through adults. There is another Dancing Babies with Gari Stein of Music for Little Folks on Saturday, April 26 from 10-10:40a at the Malletts Creek Branch. Dancing Babies is for infants through 5 year olds.
Believe it or not, we are finally emerging from winter, it is spring and summer is coming including Ann Arbor Art Fair. Kids in grades 3-8 can submit art to be juried for participation in the 2014 Kids Art Fair as part of the Townie Street Party that kicks off Art Fair. There will be submission sessions on Sunday, April 27 from 1-3p at Pittsfield Branch, Wednesday, April 30 from 5-7p at Pittsfield Branch, and Sunday, May 4 from 1-3p at Pittsfield Branch.
Celebrate El Dia de los Ninos y Libros on Sunday, April 27 from 1:30-4:30p at Downtown Branch in conjunction with the Ypsilanti District Library. There will be colorful stories, crafts, face painting, and the flamenco of El Alma Espanola.
Grades 2-5 can learn the Kodu programming language with Kito, an AAPS substitute teacher at the Downtown Library on Sunday, April 27 from 2-4p.
Prepare for Michigan Theater’s May 4 Not Just for Kids Performance of “Henry and Mudge” with storytelling and a craft based on the book Henry & Mudge on Sunday, April 27 from 2-3p at the Malletts Creek Branch.
Events for Teens (Grade 6+) & Adults:
- Saturday, April 5 1-4p Beginning Crochet Class at Traverwood Branch
- Saturday, April 5 2-3p DIY Glitter Globe at Malletts Creek Branch
- Monday, April 7 7-8:30p Dreamcatchers Craft Workshop at Malletts Creek Branch
- Tuesday, April 8 6-8p Felt Peeps Bunnies at Malletts Creek Branch
- Wednesday, April 9 Geometric Origami 101 at Malletts Creek Branch (Grade 4+)
- Saturday, April 12 2-4p No Sew Pillows at Pittsfield Branch
- Saturday, April 12 2-4p Paper Making from Pulp to Sheet at Malletts Creek Branch
- Saturday, April 26 2-4p Steampunk Gearrings at Malletts Creek Branch
- Thursday, April 3 7-8:45p Emerging Writers Workshops: Finding Your Literary Tribe at Traverwood Branch
- Saturday, April 5 3-5p Storytelling with Computer Animation: Defining Atmosphere (grades 5+) at Downtown Branch
- Sunday, April 6 1-4p League of Legends: Library Edition at Downtown Library
- Sunday, April 6 1-3p Comic Artists Forum with Cartoonist Joshua Hauke at Downtown Branch
- Thursday, April 17 7-8:45 Emerging Writers: Writing & Review Meetup at Traverwood Branch
- Saturday, April 19 3-5p Creating Video Games: Level Design (grades 5+) at Downtown Branch
- Saturday, April 26 3-5p Creating Video Games: Programming (grades 5+) at Downtown Branch
The Library locations are:
- Downtown at 343 South Fifth Avenue
- Malletts Creek Branch at 3090 E. Eisenhower Parkway
- Pittsfield Branch at 2359 Oak Valley Dr
- Traverwood Branch at 3333 Traverwood Drive (at Huron Parkway)
Latest posts by a2withkids (see all)
- Ann Arbor Buddy’s Pizza Now Open – October 13, 2017
- Arbor Annie’s Weekend Picks October 6-8, 2017 – October 6, 2017
- Arbor Annie’s Weekend Picks September 29-October 1, 2017 – September 29, 2017