Summer Camp Guide: UM Natural History Museum
Disclaimer: University of Michigan Museum of Natural History is a sponsor of the Ann Arbor with Kids Summer Camp Guide. All opinions are my own.
Hopefully we’ve seen the last of the winter weather for this year. The warming temperatures have definitely made it easier to start thinking about summer camp for my daughter. It is definitely time to register to help secure your first choices of summer camp.
The University of Michigan Museum of Natural History offers Camp Explorations summer camps. While my daughter has never attended Camp Explorations, she has loved their Kids Night Out programs and some of her friends have enjoyed their summer camps in the past.
The University of Michigan Museum of Natural History offers half-day camps that can be combined with University of Michigan KidSport or Outdoor Adventures camps for a full-day camp experience. Camp themes covers a wide range of science topics from paleontology, space, archaeology, animals, and ecology, and more. The UMMNH Blog includes reports from the 2013 camps to give an idea of camp activities.
|Archaeology Camp 2013|
Morning Camp sessions run from 8a-noon for children ages 8-12 except for the last week which is for ages 6-12.
- June 16-20 – Phenomenal Physics 1
- June 23-27 – Phenomenal Physics 2
- June 30-July 3 (4 Day, Monday-Thursday only) – CSI: Ann Arbor 1
- July 7-11 – CSI: Ann Arbor 2
- July 14-18 – Archaeology Quest 1
- July 21-25 Archaeology Quest 2
- July 28-August 1 – Ecology in your Backyard 1
- August 4-8 – Ecology in your Backyard 2
- August 11-15 – Emerging Engineers (ages 6-12)
|Examining hairs in CSI Camp 2013|
Afternoon Camp sessions run from 1-4p for kids ages 6-11 except for the last week which is for ages 6-12.
- June 16-20 – Space Explorers 1
- June 23-27 – Space Explorers 2
- June 30-July 3 (4 Day, Monday-Thursday only) – Science Extravaganza 1
- July 7-11 – Science Extravaganza 2
- July 14-18 – Paleontology Rocks 1
- July 21-25 Paleontology Rocks 2
- July 28-August 1 – Amazing Animals 1
- August 4-8 – Amazing Animals 2
- August 11-15 – Science Extravaganza (ages 6-12)
|Paleontology Rocks 2013|
Each camp meets Monday through Friday except for the week of June 30-July 3 which runs Monday through Thursday. Each camp session costs $175 (except June 30-July 3 which is $140).
KidSport offers both morning and afternoon sessions that can be combined with Camp Explorations for a full-day camp experience.. The morning sessions (8a-noon) are for kids ages 4-15 and include swimming lessons and various sports activities. Each afternoon session runs from 1-4p and is for kids ages 7-15 and features different sports such as baseball/softball, flag football, soccer, cheerleading, and more. The schedule for the afternoon session is available on the registration form. The morning KidSport sessions are $160/wk and the afternoon KidSport sessions are $140. There is also the Outdoor Adventure camp in the afternoons (1-4p) for kids from ages 8-12 and costs $185/week. Outdoor Adventures camp includes activities like rock climbing, bouldering, canoeing, orienteering, and more.
When your child is registered for both Camp Explorations and KidSport/Outdoor Adventures the one hour lunch break between camps will be spent with the afternoon camp. Please provide lunch for your child. Aftercare from 4-6p is also available after the afternoon sessions for $50/week.
Latest posts by a2withkids (see all)
- Ann Arbor Buddy’s Pizza Now Open – October 13, 2017
- Arbor Annie’s Weekend Picks October 6-8, 2017 – October 6, 2017
- Arbor Annie’s Weekend Picks September 29-October 1, 2017 – September 29, 2017