“Feed Your Mind” Summer Reading and Events at Ypsilanti District Library
The Ypsilanti District Library;s Summer Reading theme for 2014 is Feed Your Mind. They will be holding events to match the food theme of the summer reading program.
Signups for the Ypsilanti District Library Summer Reading Program began on June 1. There are 4 programs based on ages, including a program for pre-readers which was introduced this year. The program levels are described below:
- Pre-Readers: Parents track the number of books that they read to their child and the number of story times they attend at the library. A total of 21 books/story times is needed for a prize
- Kids: Children 12 and under will earn prizes for the number of minutes they spend reading or listening to books. Prizes include Rutherford Pool Passes, Dairy Queen ice cream, and a free book.
- Teens: Earn points for reading and attending library events towards a goal. Win a prize for reaching your goal and be entered into a drawing for the grand prize.
- Adults: Read or listen to 8 books and receive a prize. You can also submit a recipe in place of one book.
Food Gatherers of Ann Arbor and the Michigan Department of Education are sponsoring weekday Lunch and Listen sessions from June 23 to August 22. Kids (ages 1-18) will receive a nutritious lunch to eat while listening to a story. They can earn summer reading points for the time spent listening to stories.
- YDL-Whittaker – Mondays through Fridays noon-1p
- YDL-Michigan – Mondays through Fridays 2-3p
- YDL-Superior – Mondays and Tuesdays noon-1p
- Food Fun: Arts and Sciences will be held every Monday from 3-4p at the Michigan Branch. Sample crafts will include sprinkle bracelets, cupcake flowers, experiments with taste, and more.
- Seed 2 Plate will be held every Tuesday at 1p at the Michigan Branch. Tweens (ages 9-12) will plant a pizza container garden and learn to care for it through the summer. At the end of the summer, they will take a field trip to Growing Hope to use the ingredients to make a pizza.
- In Show Me Nutrition kids ages 5-8 will listen to stories about food and activity. They will enjoy a nutritious snack as well. There are two sessions each Wednesday:
- Food! is a program for teens at the Michigan Branch on Thursdays at 3p (no meeting on August 14). Teens will learn different things about food including how they can be used in personal care (hair care, facial scrubs), food careers, and recipes (smoothies, crepes, sushi).
- At Jump Into Foods kids (8-12) will learn about nutrition and physical activity and learn to make a nutritious snack. The event is on at 5p Thursdays at the Superior Branch.
There are also some special themed events that will occur over the summer:
- Saturday, June 7 -1p – Learning Garden Planting at Superior Branch. This is for all ages to plant seeds and seedlings and more.
- Saturday, June 14 – 11a – Summer Reading Kickoff with Cirque Amongus at the Whittaker Branch. Watch a performance by Cirque Amongus and then enjoy an ice cream sundae from Go! Ice Cream.
- Saturday, June 14 – 3p – Summer Reading Kickoff with Cirque Amongus at the Michigan Branch. Learn how to do the Cirque Amongus stunts yourself. Event sponsored by Kiwanis of Ypsilanti.
- Saturday, June 21 – 11a – Cupcake Wars at the Michigan Branch. Tweens can learn cupcake decorating techniques and then compete to win prizes as most creative and best use of techniques.
- Sunday, June 22 – 2p – Library Lab: Marshmallow Challenge at the Whittaker Branch. Kids ages 7-12 can test their engineering skills. You can register by calling 734-482-4110 x1340.
- Monday, June 23 – 3-4p – Candy Kitchen Science at the Whittaker Branch. Simple science experiments to play with food (ages 6-18)
- Saturday, June 28 – 2-3p – Candy Kitchen Science at the Superior Branch. Simple science experiments to play with food (ages 6-18)
- Monday, June 30 – 3-4p – Edible Playdough Sculptures at the Whittaker Branch. Make a sculpture from edible play dough. Younger kids can start building with pre-made dough while older kids will learn how to make their own play dough.
- Wednesday, July 2 – 1-6p – Movie & a BBQ at the Superior Branch. The library will be turned into a movie theater complete with popcorn for a screening of Frozen at 1p. After the movie, there will be hot dogs and lawn games.
- Monday, July 7 3-4p – Solar Oven S’mores at the Whittaker Branch. Kids ages 8-18 will make a DIY solar oven and make their own s’mores. Space is limited to the first 40 arrivals.
- Saturday, July 12 2-3p – Solar Oven S’mores at the Superior Branch. Kids ages 8-18 will make a DIY solar oven and make their own s’mores. Space is limited to the first 20 arrivals.
- Saturday, July 12 3p – Cooking with Magnificent Ming at the Michigan Branch. Families will learn the basics of Chinese cooking and etiquette. Participants will roll their own egg roll using a recipe that has been in Ming’s family for over 100 years.
- Saturday, July 19 3:30p – Chopped Jr. Competition at Michigan Branch. Tweens will work in teams to create the best appetizer, main dish, and dessert with the provided surprise ingredients.
- Thursday, July 31 3-4p – Face Plates at Whittaker Branch. Kids (7+) will make a ceramic face plate so they can keep playing with their food.
- Saturday, August 9 2p – Summer Ice Cream Social at Superior Branch. Join the library and your neighbors for ice cream, activities, and live music.
- Saturday, August 9 2p – Spice it up for Teens! at Whittaker Branch. Make your own salsa (mild, medium, or hot). Ingredients and recipes provided. Register in advance at 734-482-4110 x1340 or online
- Whittaker – 5577 Whittaker Rd
- Michigan – 229 West Michigan Ave
- Superior – 8795 MacArthur Blvd