School Lunch – Pizza Biscuits
Last week before school started I was having a Facebook conversation with a couple of other moms about how none of our kids will eat the school pizza. My daughter complains that the school food isn’t as good as my food.
While grocery shopping on Friday, my daughter and I were discussing unique ways that we could pack a “pizza” for lunch. We decided to make a biscuit or a muffin to incorporate the flavors of pizza that she could dip in sauce. I also wanted something that would be easy to make.
We settled on making drop Pepperoni Pizza Drop biscuits. We made the biscuits for lunch on Monday and my daughter brought the leftovers to school on Tuesday for the first day.
I wanted a recipe that I could make quickly and did not involve a lot of steps. I browsed my pantry and found a biscuit/baking mix which was perfect for making biscuits. I decided on drop biscuits since it was easy to stir the ingredients.
Our pizza “toppings” were pepperoni, onion, garlic, and fresh basil. You could substitute the ingredients for whatever toppings your family prefers, and you have on hand.
- 2c Biscuit/Baking Mix
- 1/2 shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2T Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1oz Turkey Pepperoni, Diced
- 1/2c Diced Onion
- 2T chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4c Milk
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Dice pepperoni and onion and chop basil
- Mix biscuit mix, cheese, pepperoni, onion, and basil in a large bowl
- Add Milk and Stir until the dough is thoroughly moistened
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet (I baked on a Silpat)
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until biscuits are a golden brown
- Serve with pizza sauce for dipping
- Feel free to substitute whatever pizza toppings your family prefers.
After school, my daughter said that the pizza biscuits were as good cold as they were warm. She loved having them for lunch and they were a nice alternative to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
I loved packing the Pizza Biscuits since it was much easier than making a sandwich. As leftovers I packed them in containers for lunch so it was a simple to pack her lunch in the morning.
We will definitely be making Pizza Biscuits again this school year and may shake them up with different toppings. What toppings would your family put in their pizza biscuits?