2017-2018 Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar & Bell Times
The 2017-2018 Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar has finally been released – to little fanfare. As a parent, I have not received an email or seen it on their Facebook Page. Also, this year are changes to the Bell Schedule (Start & End Times). Don’t miss our Back to School Guide for more AAPS information – enrolling, supplies, events, etc. It is updated until school starts.
Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar Highlights
The 2017-2018 Ann Arbor Public Schools Calendar is roughly what I was expecting. Days off for election days and MLK day. In a bit of a surprise, Presidents Day is now a 4 day weekend. There are more early release days on the calendar than last year.
Start and End Dates
As anticipated, school will start on the Tuesday after Labor Day – Tuesday, September 5. School ends on Friday, June 15. The final day of school is subject to change if there are more snow days than budgeted.
The dates for Winter and Spring Break were previously shared through 2022. Thanksgiving continues as a 5 day weekend. After mid-winter break being reduced to just Presidents Day in 2016-2017, it has been expanded to a 4 day weekend with Friday and Monday off. Keep in mind that spring break shifts to the last week in March this year instead of the first week of April. Easter is the second weekend of spring break, so expect extra crowds if you are making travel plans to popular tourist destinations.
The 2017-2018 break schedule is:
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday, November 22-Sunday, November 26
- Break starts after school on Tuesday, November 21
- School resumes on Monday, November 27
- Saturday, December 23-Sunday, January 7
- Break starts after school on Friday, December 22
- School Resumes on Monday, January 8
- Mid-Winter Break – Friday, February 16-19
- Break starts after school on Thursday, February 15
- School Resumes on Tuesday, February 20
- Saturday, March 24-Sunday, April 1
- Break starts after school on Friday, March 23
- School Resumes on Monday, April 2
Individual Days Off
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 7
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day – Monday, January 15
- Election Day – Tuesday, May 8
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 28
Early Release Days (Half Days)
After introducing “early release days” at the elementary level last year, there are even more on the 2017-2018 calendar. However, this years half days are longer and now include lunch. The times for early release days can be found below with the bell schedules.
All Early Release Days are on Wednesdays. These early release days are for all grade levels:
- September 27
- October 25
- January 31
- February 28
- May 23
Plus, just for middle and high schoolers is
- Wednesday, May 2 – Transition Day
Partial days for high school exams are:
- Friday, Monday, & Tuesday November 17, 20-21 – Skyline only
- Tuesday-Friday January 23-26 – All except Skyline
- Wednesday-Friday March 7-9 – Skyline only
- Tuesday-Friday June 12-15 – All High Schools except Skyline
- Wednesday-Friday June 13-15 – Skyline only
The full calendar is on the Ann Arbor Public Schools website.
Ann Arbor Public Schools Bell Schedule
Ann Arbor Public Schools also has a new bell schedule for the 2017-2018 school year. School start times have been delayed.
Full Day Bell Schedules
- Elementary: 8:56a-3:59p
- K-8 (AA Open and A2 Steam): 8:19a-3:22p
- Middle School: 8:19a-3:07p
- High School: 7:45a-2:36p
Early Release Bell Schedules
Early Release days (half-days) now extend through lunch.
- Elementary: 8:56a-1:29p
- K-8 (AA Open and A2 Steam): 8:19a-12:52p
- Middle School: 8:19a-12:37p
- High School: 7:45a-12:06p
Last Day of School Bell Schedules
The Last Day of school continues to be a shorter day with release before lunch
- Elementary: 8:56a-11:39a
- K-8 (AA Open and A2 Steam): 8:19a-10:54a
- Middle School: 8:19a-10:47a
- High School: 7:45a-11:35a
High School Exam Days
There is a special schedule for High School exam days. Huron, Pioneer, and Skyline all have the same schedule with exams from 7:45a-11:35a. The exam schedules for Community and Pathways have not yet been announced.
Latest posts by Anna Mae (see all)
- 10 Tips for 2017 Holiday Nights at Greenfield Village – December 6, 2017
- Ann Arbor Chanukah Events for Kids – November 30, 2017
- Ann Arbor Christmas Shows – November 29, 2017